It’s October already, and I guess September wasn’t the only month of challenges for our family, because even though its only the 3rd, its shaping up to be a very interesting month. During my routine prenatal exam in September(yes, I’m pregnant, for those of you that missed the big news…due the first week of February) my doctor noted the fetus was demonstrating an abnormal heart rate, actually the heart was speeding up and slowing down a lot. I talked to her about the possibility of being exposed to Fifth disease (human parvovirus B19) because it can cause anemia in the baby which can lead to other problems. So, she sent me for blood work to establish the status of my immunity to the disease and put in a note to try and get my ultrasound moved up, since it was still 3 weeks away. Immediately following my appointment, I went to the lab, and the next day the ultrasound department called and rescheduled my appointment for 2 weeks earlier. I am so thankful that all these things happened at the time that they did, in light of what we’ve found since then. Fast forward to Thursday, September 30, 2010 – Trevor and Lorelei accompanied me to my ultrasound appointment. It started off well, there was a new tech who was very personable and easy to get along with, much better than my two previous experiences with the ultrasound department! She didn’t even make me change into a terrible hospital gown, she just said, “I’ll make this easy, just lift your shirt and we’ll make it work”. She did the scan, and just as she was finishing, the radiologist stuck his head in the door just to tell her he was going for coffee, and she asked him to come take a look. This is when I started to get a little nervous. He then asked me twice…within a few minutes, if my husband was here with me…which made me a little more nervous… He sent the tech out to get Trevor and proceeded to explain his concerns. The baby has edema on the head and the abdomen, as well as fluid within the abdominal cavity. He also noted that the placenta is attached very low in the uterus, possibly covering the cervix. Both things were rather concerning to him, and he said he would be referring me for further testing to a hospital in Winnipeg. Of course its all rather scary at this point, but its hardly sinking in, and we left with a lot on our minds. The next day I spoke to my doctor, who told me my blood work had come back negative for any fifth disease exposure (meaning I am still susceptible to it, should I come in contact with an infected person…not so good). She also said she had an appointment for me to see a specialist in the Fetal Assessment Unit at Women’s Hospital in Winnipeg on Sunday morning…today…
A major show of support from our family made it possible for Trevor and I to spend the night in Winnipeg rather than leaving early in the morning, and Lorelei stayed in the care of my Brother in law and Sister in law. We were able to enjoy a nice dinner together and try to relax for the evening, although with so many unanswered questions buzzing around in my head and being in a different bed, I sure didn’t sleep well. We left the hotel with plenty of time to spare, and stopped for a quick splurge(but of course unhealthy) breakfast at McDonalds and even after registering, we were still 25 minutes early for the appointment.
Just as I was thinking, we better settle in for a long wait, the doctor walked in and just like that we were in business, there wasn’t as single other soul in that wing of the building since they don’t routinely schedule weekend appointments, however this doctor, as my regular doctor put it, is a bit of a workaholic. I suppose this is the time to be thankful for a workaholic doctor! After about 25 minutes of ultrasound exam on two machines, and a brief wait when he left the room, he sat down to discuss the situation. I was please to hear him say that he knew what was going on with the baby (as sure as anyone can be, aside from God himself!). He said the baby is experiencing paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia – meaning that the heart will randomly experience episodes of extremely fast beating, and then in between these episodes, the heart is tired, and can’t keep up with the demand, which causes fluid to “leak” into the tissues outside the veins which is known as edema (fluid build up in the skin) and ascities(fluid build up in the abdomen). In the specialist’s words, “this baby is very sick at the moment”. He also said, however, they have approximately 70% success rate in treating these cases. The treatment involves medicating me with a drug that decreases/regulates the heart rate, which in turn, crosses the placenta and works on the baby as well. There are risks involved of course, the risk that it could affect me more than it affects the baby, or that the drug they have chosen to try first may not work on the baby in the way it is expected, but for now we’re just taking it one step at a time. I have to go back to Winnipeg for an EKG to make sure my heart can handle this drug, and to monitor the baby further tomorrow morning, and I’ll try to keep this blog updated as we go, rather than having to tell every individual person the updates. Please pray for peace and strength for us as we go through the trials ahead, for healing for the baby and skill for the doctors as they attend to our case.
Thank you so much for the support that each person around us has offered and for your prayers.