I was just complaining about someone not updating their blog and Trevor asked me when the last time I updated mine was...so I had to check...wow...its been two weeks, ok so I'll quit being lazy and post.
It has been a beautiful two weeks! The sun was out nearly every day until friday and I have my first few blooms beside my front step, som yellow crocus', another plant that I can't remember the name of - I'll have to post a picture of it, and my grape hyacinths are just about to burst out - its been raining all weekend so I'm sure with some sun in the next couple days alot of my flowers will come out.
Last weekend my dad got married, Rob sent me pictures, it was a cute small wedding, just 9 people in total. Dad wore his western suit jacket and black jeans and Diane wore a white skirt and shirt and a white cowboy hat. My siblings and I sent them to Jasper for a couple nights for a honeymoon, and they said they enjoyed it alot! We're all looking forward to getting together in the late summer or early fall to get acquainted with the new part of our extended family :) I also attended a bridal shower for my friend Dyane last friday night.
On Monday night of this week, Andrew and Jaime arrived. They just moved back to the area from Abbotsford, and it is nice to have them back! It was Jaime's birthday this weekend so we celebrated with mint brownies on friday night. Trevor helped move around some furniture at their house this weekend and the house looks really nice! They spent lots of energy on painting it and modernizing some aspects of the interior - mainly in lighting, and the bathroom.
We spent Saturday out at the farm - I had hoped to work with the horses but we were recieving some much needed rain, so I was thankful just to work in the comfort of the shop and listen to the drops drum away on the roof. Trevor was working on his bulldozer, I helped him with a few things, but spent most of my time changing oil in the lawnmowers and rototiller and getting them ready to work. Our lawn is starting to look like a miniature rainforest so as soon as it dries up I hope to give it a trim. I also tagged some calves and casterated one of the new ones. We have 16 calves now and are expecting 11 more if all the cows are bred. Trevor and I have decided to sell our cows this summer and are trying out the grass catte business. We have purchased 5 steers weighing about 550lbs to put on pasture for the summer. By October they should be weighing around 850lbs and we will then sell them into a feedlot to be fattened the rest of the way. If this small scale arrangement works out, we would like to do this on a bigger scale next year. It would give us an excuse to ride our horses (checking the cows) and eliminate the need to drive out to the farm all the time in the winter, since there would be only horses to keep through the winter. Lord willing, we hope to find a place in the country soon so that we can keep our horses at our own place and have room for our dog to move around a bit. Anybody looking for a cute little house in a small town?? We'll have one for sale soon :)
On Saturday night Julie, Velma and I went to a concert put on by the local choir, which is directed by a lady who I used to board with - the summer before I got married. It was a very neat concert, with a little bit of theatre thrown in as they did little skits about small town life and then sang songs to complement the different areas of rural life. It was a nice show.
Today was our tea meeting day and it was nice to have a few extra voices, and new faces in our midst with A & J home again and a couple of visitors.
This afternoon, Julie and I attended a baby shower for one of our co-workers. It was a nice celebration - many of our co-workers have young families so there were a few children there to keep us all entertained!
Tonight Trevor and I treated a calf with a minor naval infection and checked on the cows after evening meeting before coming back to town. Riata is starting to shed out better now that she's on a little better feed and the weather has been consistantly warm - she's getting tired of being cooped up and I may have to bite the bullet and turn her out. I just hope that Apache won't beat on her like he beats on Guthrie - one horse covered in grey scar marks is enough, I don't want two!
I guess tomorrow is back to the workplace again - they're calling for continued rain tomorrow and warm temperatures later in the week - up to 30C hopefully!
I'll have to take some pictures of my flowers and my latest crochet projects to share - until then....
2 comments:
Sounds like you have been keeping busy. Thanks for the update. :) It sounds like it is getting nice and warm there!
Heather,
Sometimes I am amazed at your life...it is so different from mine. I wish I had a few acres and the small town life instead of this big city life. The grass is always greener...
Happy Spring!
YOur cousin...Nicole
Post a Comment