Sunday, May 20, 2007

COLD!

Well, I guess this blog is turning into a bi-weekly thing, that seems to be about as often as I get time to write.

Since my last blog the weather has done tons of crazy things, right now its staying very cool, under 10C and it has frozen a couple times I think - which is scary since there are alot of crops just barely through the ground, and lots of buds out on the trees and stuff. It has also rained a couple inches in the last two weeks, complete with a Thunderstorm that lasted over 8 hours on thursday night! Its been kinda crazy - I'm back to wearing winter clothes again!

Last saturday (the 12th) we spent most of the day with Andrew and Jaime. We built a kennel for Finnigan (their 10wk old Chocolate Lab). Its pretty nice, he's a spoiled puppy!! I helped part of the time, but also spent a few hours visiting with Jaime. We got our favorite Pizza from the local take out place for supper and then headed home. On Sunday afternoon Trevor and I went riding for a few hours, it was a nice ride!
This past week we've been busy almost every night, with things to do at the farm, etc. We've treated a few more health problems in some calves, trimmed the horses hooves and done some garden work.
About 10 days ago we tilled up our garden spot and planted it down to grass (since it was impossible to grow veggies on it, due to the spruce trees dropping all their needles on it). It hasn't grown very well yet, but with all this rain, we need a bit of sun to coax it up through the ground I think. One of my Iris' bloomed this week, and then were promptly blown over by the horrendous wind we've had over the last week. My garden plot had a bunch of day lilies and iris' on it which I dug out(I'm sure this is the wrong time of year for that, but o well...). I took some of the bulbs and Iris' to Jaime and some to Velma. At Velma's I tilled some manure into an empty flower bed that I was planning to put the bulbs into out there - so far the bulbs are still in the garage though!!
Yesterday Trevor had to work, but we needed to vaccinate the cows and calves in preparation for moving them to pasture, so Andrew and Alex and I sorted the calves from the cows, performed the neccesary doctoring and turned them out onto a small amount of grass. Later today we're going to push them out to a bigger pasture. When we finished, I went to the house and made lunch, since Velma was working also. Jaime joined us for lunch, and in spite of my good intentions to work with my filly in the afternoon, I stayed in the warm house and visited with Jaime all afternoon! We made supper together and enjoyed visiting with the whole family later.
My current crochet project is a baby sweater, and I finally finished the back of it last night, so now I just have the front and the sleeves and the collar.....JUST is not the word, but oh well, it doesn't take long if I just sit down and do it - the baby it's intended for is 2.5 months old though, so I better get a move on!!
This afternoon has been somewhat of a lazy time - Trevor is asleep on the couch as he has been for about 2 hours or more, and I'm getting updated on my computer stuff for the week!
Tomorrow we plan to go on a trail ride with Darren and Melinda and the boys. Carson was very excited to be bringing his pony to my place. It has been COLD and rainy all weekend though, so I hope we don't get rained out! It hasn't been a very nice long weekend, but I guess if we don't get to go out riding, I'll actually get something done around here, MAYBE...

3 comments:

The Chatty Housewife said...

Brr! I really hope that the crops survive. Especially the ones in SK!

familymclean said...

Finally warm here now that the weekend is over, how bout there, si the sun shining yet?

Heather said...

We finally had sun today after a week of rain totalling 6 inches or so!!