Wednesday, June 6, 2007

A nice day off



OK, before you all faint by seeing two blogs from me in only 3 days, I'll just say, I'm sick, and don't feel like doing much, and this doesn't take much energy...so....thats my excuse!



I really enjoyed my day off on Monday, I slept in til 9, did a few errands around town, and then went out to the farm where Velma and I were planning to plan the garden. We ended up planting almost the whole garden. We started about 11 and had planted lettuce, carrots, beets, beans, peas, dill, corn, cucumbers and zucchini by about 2. Jaime came by and help us out as well, it was warm and sunny, with quite a stiff breeze to keep it cooler and keep the bugs away. We then went to town and got some bedding plants - 26 tomato plants, 9 pepper plants and a few flowers. We also had lunch at the local drive up place. When we got home, Velma had to leave for her weekly course, so Jaime and I transplanted the peppers and tomatoes and then Jaime went home, and I finished up by watering the newly transplanted plants and putting cages around all the tomato plants. The only part of the garden that we didn't get done is the Potatoes, but we'll try and get them done soon. We also picked up a few more seeds on Monday afternoon that we didn't get in the ground, some squash, radishes, spinach and parsnips.

In total we ended up with 35 rows of garden, with each row being about 25' long I guess.

Later I also planted the bulbs, which I had dug out of my garden, in Velma's garden - many of them had started growing in the container we had stored them in since digging them - so I hope they'll survive the move.

In the evening, Trevor and I went back out to the farm and checked the fences on a couple of pastures before dark. The snow really does a number on the high tensile fences in some spots! We got two pastures done, so now there is only one more to do. It was a nice evening for this sort of work, with the wind to keep the bugs away again, but it didn't keep the wood ticks away...eww, we each had a few...If anyone heard the new country song "check you for ticks" ...Its kind of appropriate in this country...if only the song didn't have other connotations.



I finally took some pictures of my new Filly -

So here is Riata, she finally shed out for the most part, but she still has some fuzz on the sides of her belly. I really like her color now, and though she has alot of growing to do, I think she's going to be a nice looking horse in the next couple years. She was a year on May 18, so she's got lots of time to fill out :D She's very quiet and gentle, and easy to handle so far!

She was much more interested in eating then in standing for this picture, but she's got a cute head :)

3 comments:

The Chatty Housewife said...

Oooo, pretty!

familymclean said...

She is beautiful, I can't imagine how fun it must be to have a horse, and how much work! Like having kids.....nudge Trev. (wink, snicker)

nicole said...

i want your garden plot! Except where there is no snow in the winter!