Well, I guess its about time for another update. The days of summer seem to slip by without so much as a pause - and to think its the end of July already! The crops are ripening, and we saw several combines in the field on our Sunday evening drive home tonight! Sometimes it scares me to think that time is ticking by that fast - what have I done that has made it worth while? Every time I think that, it spurs me to make a better effort to spread the Love of my Saviour Jesus Christ with others - but unfortunately, due to lack of discipline, that "spur" never lasts until the next opportunity arises - usually this is somewhat of an evening event, and by morning, I've lost the zeal - why? To think that because of His great love for us (as rebellious children) He sent his ONLY Son to the evil earth - to be mistreated in every way known to man - without retaliation - and to die by one of the most agonizing means that was available at that time. For me - who can't even remember to tell someone about the great story. For me - who can't even get myself out of bed in the morning a few minutes early to read the love letter that He has written for me. I am humbled to think that I couldn't even walk home with a letter from Trevor in my pocket when we were dating - I'd pull it out and read as I walked back to my dorm - yet I have the love of God poured out to me in a book and I don't even bother to "fit it in" to my busy schedule. Now I pause to think - if I erase Him out of my day to day living (as it seems I have been doing) - what would it be like if He erased His presence from my day to day living? My life would be a mess. The tender mercies - which some would choose to refer to as fate - are never ending. From the family and friends that surround me, my health, my more then adequate possessions to the many times when a split second has saved me from great harm. Fate? No - I cannot call it that, His hand is present in every second in my life - so I must try to make His love evident to others in every second of my life.
So this is my desire - to be able to resist the distractions of this world and carve out a time to simply learn of Him - the author of my life. That would be a bare starting point compared to the devotion He deserves.
I've often thought of it this way: If a person jumped out and saved you from the path of an oncoming train (meaning certain death - although not to be thought equal to eternity in hell) and was killed in the process - would you not want to remember that person fondly every day of your life - knowing they were the reason you were alive? And if asked to do so, wouldn't you gladly put aside one day a week to commit to that person (ok - this is sounding slightly strange, but bear with me) - how come, if we could do that for another human who acted heroically, why can't we do it for our Creator and Perfecter, Jesus Christ? As far as He's concerned, He's done much more then we give Him credit for, right?
I guess that's just the reflection of my mind for now - I feel challenged to make MY Lord a bigger part of my life - since without Him - I would be nothing.
I came here with the intention of writing an update of the last couple weeks - but it hardly seems to fit - what was meant to be an introduction, led me to write much more - so the update will wait for another day :)
3 comments:
I feel the same, and am ashamed that my priorities put learning about Jesus near the bottom of my list of things to do. Your post was a strong reminder.
Wow, well put. I have never thougth of it that way.
Thank you!!!!
Hey! You need to update your blog.
Post a Comment