Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I'm Back

Wow - that was the longest break from blogging ever - for me at least! Its been a whirlwind couple of months, and the first thing I cut from my schedule was blogging....not sure why - I guess it could have been scrabulous or facebook....but no. Here we are, only 6 days from Christmas - its a beautiful day today - looking out the window it looks that way anyways! The trees are covered in hoarfrost causing a beautiful silvery Christmas scene everywhere you look - but if you step outside you will feel the chill of the damp -15 that is our high for the day and remember why you would like a remote car starter and why you like to park close to the door!



Over the last few months there have been a few highlights - a couple shopping trips - one with Trevor in mid November when we did most of our christmas shopping as well as applying for our passports (which we received a prompt 2 weeks later). We visited all the important places, like SIR/Cabelas, Value Village and the mall oh and of course a trip wouldn't be complete without going out to Cabrian Equipment (the Allis Chalmers wrecking yard on the far side of the city)...I stayed in the car as it was cold and windy and I think Trevor almost regretted going out there in that weather! It was a nice day together!

Later in November Julie, Velma, Jaime and I made a trip to Grand Forks, we took Liam along, and of course spent more time carrying him around then pushing him in the stroller - but it made a good shopping cart! I just looked at my credit card bill the other day though, I had forgotten that I used it for all my US shopping....no wonder I had s0me extra money sitting around - not any more! With the anticipation of Christmas in our new house and our first real holiday season together (last year we celebrated early and worked through Christmas and new years!) I wanted to do some decorating...$$$...I did fairly well considering, but it is just so easy to spend money! One of the first stores I saw in the mall was the music store/piano store....oooh, bad place for me to see, and when the rest of the group went into a clothing store across the way - I being not a clothing shopper thought this was the perfect oppourtunity to browse through some sheet music. I love new music- I got a few of my favorite contemporary country pieces- Whiskey Lullaby, Skin and one oldie but goody - Desperado. As I was looking I also found a reasonably priced book of classic country songs. The owner of the store invited me to try them out on one of the Grand Pianos....I can never pass up the opportunity to play on a piano like that! The store also had a variety of beautiful pictures and plaques with christian saying and verses on them - and I had been looking for something like that for the new house...$$$ by the time I left the store I had also picked up some guitar pics and my bill was alot higher then I had planned....oh, but it is MUSIC!
One of my planned stops was in the RCC western store to shop for Trevor - successful stop $$$...
Then, Bath and Body Works (or whatever its called), wow, 5 for $25 sale on now?? Sweet!!...$$$...
Cabelas...ohlala!! ...$$$...
Ah, Walmart super center....$$$... It was a good trip though - with some nice visiting along the way. The stop at the border to pay Duty was a bit saddening of course, and with the locals asleep in the back seat, Jaime and I managed to go a few miles out of our way by missing the main highway...oops! It was a beautiful day for travelling - sunny and clear and dry roads!

The next major highlight was the great moving extravaganza. The current tenants said they'd be out by the end of November, so we showed up at the house with a trailer load of stuff at about 11AM on December first. Let me first add a disclaimer saying it was a very bad time of the month....but yeah...
We arrived to find the house locked, appliances still in place and nobody around. I was ANGRY...they had already put us off for a month longer then they first said they would- and I wanted my house! Its a good thing I wasn't there alone or I might have broken something or...possibly somebody, once they finally showed up! I am slightly embarrassed by my behaviour as I was sullen, angry and sarcastic all morning. The offending party showed up a while later to get more stuff - they "just hadn't been able to get it all out in one day" well, ok whatever, but you're the ones that gave us the deadline... They didn't seem to care, and I was even more angered by that, add to it all that they weren't even moving their stuff all into their house - but some into a neighbours barn...which they could have done any time, but they still waited until November 30th to start....AGH.... it was not a good day!
Trevor and I went for a walk in the cold blowing snow, to check out the pasture fence, and when we came back we helped them load their stuff out of the garage so we could unload our stuff into the garage (the appliance and furniture we had bought). Then we went home. Angered by the frustration of never getting anything done, I decided to go on a baking frenzy - and by the end of the day I had made 10-12 dozen goodies, cookies, turtles, maple truffles, etc....finally - an accomplishment! it was somewhat of a relief.... Anyways, my lunch hour is over and I've already been writing this for two days....so I'll post this now....and the happy side later... Ciao

No comments: