Thursday, January 3, 2008

A new year

Funny how, even though we change from one calendar to another and have to remember to put a different number on the year part of our date, the new year really doesn't feel any different then the old one! In some ways I don't see the point in the big parties and the celebrations about a new year, because its really no different then the one that just passed, unless we decide to make it different. I'm not big on making resolutions or anything, but this year I hope to be less lazy - more proactive at keeping my house in order and all the other things that are a good wife's job. I'm going to try to complain less and be more conscious of what goes in - not just food, but entertainment, etc. Ok, so maybe those are resolutions and maybe thats the point of the new year, to give you a starting point for all these new ideas and such. Anyways - there is much that happened in the old year which is much more exciting then the new year has been so far, since I've been sick since the new year started!




There were Christmas parties, one for our whole clinic and one with some of the people I live near here that work in our satellite clinic. One had many people and less fun (in my opinion) and one had less people and more fun! Of course there was lots of food in the last couple weeks! On the saturday before Christmas, Trev's whole family came to our house as our first family celebration in the new place. We had "Christmas Eve" since Andrew and Jaime would fly out to be with her family on the real day. We enjoyed moose stew and dumplings, salad and custard and chocolates for dessert. After some time to relax and visit, we had our family gift opening, with lots of smiles and of course lots of presents for my happily spoiled Nephew! After this, we set up the camera and took some family pictures. See album here


The next day we had our Christmas dinner with Grandma Scharf and uncle Jack at lunch time. Later in the afternoon, Trevor's other uncle and his wife came out for a visit as well. On Christmas eve, Julie and I had to work until 2pm and then in the evening, she came to our place and watched movies with us. Christmas day was fairly low key as well, we slept in and then went to my in-laws for Christmas dinner of meatballs, turkey, and many salads, etc. Of course, much more food then we needed once again. In the afternoon, I went out to play with the dogs - Sneef(my border collie), Finny(Andrew's 10 month old chocolate lab), Kip(Julies middle aged, heinz 57) and Ginger(Julie's old Collie). I hooked Sneef and Finny up to the sled at different times and got rid of some of Finny's excess energy that way, Sneef did quite well with the sled too. It would be fun to hook them both up together and see what happens, but it might be a mess of tangled feet and ropes! We had a low key evening too, reading stories by Earnest Thomas Seaton and making a little music with guitars and piano. I talked to all my siblings on Christmas morning as they were all together at Amy's for the day - it was nice, but at the same time kind of saddening, knowing I was missing out on a nice family get together.




Boxing day was another low key day, we slept in, did some stuff around the house and then went skiing in the afternoon - cross country skiing around the property our house sits on - twas a nice day! Then it was back to work thursday, Friday and saturday morning. Saturday evening we were invited for dinner at the White house, the little boys were happy to see familiar faces again after being on vacation for 10 days or so, and they kept me more then occupied all evening. I'm afraid they may have shared their sniffles with me too, since I have been sick since monday and they were sick since sunday! Tiz the season!




Sunday afternoon Trevor, Julie, Alex and I went down to Altona for tea meeting - it was a nice time to visit since some of our friends were home from Japan for christmas and there were others we hadn't seen in quite some time. In the evening, Julie, Bethany and I went to keep Katie company for a while, since she is having to keep her activity level VERY low in order to keep her new little one on the inside for a while longer! We had a good visit, its nice to have some fellowship with other women now and then! We also managed to get in a good game of dutch blitz and see some pictures in the form of a narrated slide show from bethany. I had Monday off since I worked saturday, so I took advantage of the time to work on the cabinet for my dishwasher. Its going to be built strong enough to hold an elephant I think...and its taking a while, but I am enjoying it as it is my first real foray into woodworking in quite some time. I have decided though, that it will not be my last. I am planning some other projects for a reveal at a later date.


Speaking of reveals, I guess I can reveal my sewing projects from December as they are now in the hands of their intended owners!



Puppy PJ pants for Brookelyn!


Camo Fleece Jacket and Flannel pants for Nick!

3 comments:

Becky said...

You are the second person today that I've heard say "Why celebrate the new year?" Bunch of scrooges! It's about celebrating life and the potential of the future. But then, it's pretty hard for me to turn down any reason to have a party.

familymclean said...

I too don't really get all the hoopla except it is a great excuse for a party. I have decided though that it is also a great excuse to make changes....I like excuses:)

Amy.E said...

Good to see an update from you! Glad you're having a good time and keeping busy with lots of visiting (including the playing of dutch blitz - such a wonderful game). Happy New Year (because it is exciting to see another year full of so many possibilities). Plus, I think I heard that 2008 is the Year of the Rat, which is cause to celebrate all on its own!