




It has been a long time since I posted - and so much has happened, I'm not sure if I can remember to tell everyone all the news that has happened since my last post.
First of all - the most exciting news!! As most of you know, Jaime gave birth to Liam Nathaniel AT 10:44 AM on August 29. He was born by C-Section and weighed 6lb 6oz and measured 20 inches long. Mother and baby came through the procedure beautifully! Julie and I heard the news in the late morning and went to visit him after work that night! We met Grandma Velma and Andrew there and after visiting we went out for supper together with Darren and Melinda and their boys. It was a day of joy! Julie and I also visited Jaime and Liam at noon the next day since I was leaving Friday for my trip to Alberta. I have long looked forward to being an Auntie and it has been fun so far :)
Thursday evening was spent packing and getting food ready for the trip to Alberta the following day. Friday was slow at work, so I left at 3:30 and made it home in time to get everything ready and shower by the time Trevor came home - we packed the car and set out. We reached Regina around 11:30pm and visited with Harriet for a while before crashing for a good - but short, night's sleep. We were on our way by 8:30 after a nice breakfast. Along the way we stopped a few times - first for fuel in Davidson, then in North Battleford at a tack store - where we picked up a couple things. A little later along the way we stopped for fuel again just outside of Sherwood park, and stopped to get some last minute items in Fort Saskatchewan. We arrived at Angel's Valley Retreat center - the place my dad had rented for the weekend get-together around 7:30pm. We were greeted by Amy, Robbie, Becky and Lance. Amy made us some sandwiches for supper and we got settled in - it was a beautiful spot, with the freeman river running near by and lovely grounds with a forest surrounding on all sides. We played a friendly game of horseshoes - a game at which I suck supremely!! Later in the evening, Dad and Diane and both of Diane's kids showed up after attending a family wedding earlier in the day. So the whole family was together - except for Jody and Nate and Casey - but it was pretty good- its pretty hard to get us ALL together these days when we live so far apart and lead such different lives! Saturday evening ended with a cake celebrating Rob's graduation and lots of visiting.
On Sunday morning, Amy and Natalie and I got up and made breakfast. We fried bacon, made scrambled eggs, potato pie, pancakes and all the fixings. The facility was beautiful, with a full commercial kitchen, a job to cook in! I think I want a commercial kitchen in my house!!!! There was ample space to work in, a steam table to keep things warm, 5 sinks, a great grill, 3 ovens and 8 burners on the cook top, all of which was topped by a big exhaust fan! After a leisurely breakfast the boys did the dishes and we all got together in the little chapel for some singing and bible reading and prayer, it was a nice time! We spent the rest of the day playing games, relaxing, visiting, hiking, riding bikes, playing music and of course snacking on all the goodies that we had brought along! Sunday evening we had steak - Lance was the master BBQ chef and the rest of us pitched in to make a salad, baked potatoes and grilled carrots. MMM - fresh garden carrots grilled with butter, celery salt and dill - yummy!! More horseshoes and board games came next, then I brought out cheesecake with lemon topping, and later us "kids" played charades until midnight or so - it was a blast. We used the Apples to Apples cards to give us ideas of what to act out - it was a great way to get to know Danny, Dayna and Natalie (my new step-siblings) all a little better! On Monday morning we had a late brunch around 11 of breakfast strata that Amy had thrown together and leftover pancakes. I then went to make a couple pies as I had planned to do earlier, only to find out that my frozen peach pie filling had gone rotten somewhere along the way! So I improvised and used frozen raspberries that we had brought to make one pie and chocolate pie/pudding for another pie! It was all delicious. We shared many of our meals with the staff, etc who were staying at the retreat, and they also contributed a beautiful chocolate/raspberry cake to the desert counter. Many of us went for a hike in the afternoon, along the Freeman river, and then we went back to the camp and had a great afternoon of visiting with the whole Kile family - friends of the whole family from years ago and dad's cousin Keith and his wife. We played more horse shoes, visited a lot, enjoyed Philly Steak sandwiches and later hot dogs and hamburgers along with dessert and a cake for dad and Diane's wedding - we even convinced them to do the traditional face stuffing with the cake! We finished off the evening with visiting around the camp fire and roasting marshmallows. After all the company had gone home, knowing this was our last night together, we didn't want to miss out on any chance to have fun together, so we again played charades (this time with pictionary cards) until well into the night! Tuesday started at around 5:30- Trev and I packed up and headed back home - we stopped for breakfast in fort Saskatchewan, then at the bank in Vermilion so I could talk to them about student loan stuff. Later we stopped at Wal-Mart in Lloyd and then at Grandma Light's place in Regina for a few minutes. We got home around 1:30 AM and crashed.
I'm out of time on my lunch hour now, so I'll have to continue later...but that was my September Long weekend fun :) I'll add pictures when I get home!
First of all - the most exciting news!! As most of you know, Jaime gave birth to Liam Nathaniel AT 10:44 AM on August 29. He was born by C-Section and weighed 6lb 6oz and measured 20 inches long. Mother and baby came through the procedure beautifully! Julie and I heard the news in the late morning and went to visit him after work that night! We met Grandma Velma and Andrew there and after visiting we went out for supper together with Darren and Melinda and their boys. It was a day of joy! Julie and I also visited Jaime and Liam at noon the next day since I was leaving Friday for my trip to Alberta. I have long looked forward to being an Auntie and it has been fun so far :)
Thursday evening was spent packing and getting food ready for the trip to Alberta the following day. Friday was slow at work, so I left at 3:30 and made it home in time to get everything ready and shower by the time Trevor came home - we packed the car and set out. We reached Regina around 11:30pm and visited with Harriet for a while before crashing for a good - but short, night's sleep. We were on our way by 8:30 after a nice breakfast. Along the way we stopped a few times - first for fuel in Davidson, then in North Battleford at a tack store - where we picked up a couple things. A little later along the way we stopped for fuel again just outside of Sherwood park, and stopped to get some last minute items in Fort Saskatchewan. We arrived at Angel's Valley Retreat center - the place my dad had rented for the weekend get-together around 7:30pm. We were greeted by Amy, Robbie, Becky and Lance. Amy made us some sandwiches for supper and we got settled in - it was a beautiful spot, with the freeman river running near by and lovely grounds with a forest surrounding on all sides. We played a friendly game of horseshoes - a game at which I suck supremely!! Later in the evening, Dad and Diane and both of Diane's kids showed up after attending a family wedding earlier in the day. So the whole family was together - except for Jody and Nate and Casey - but it was pretty good- its pretty hard to get us ALL together these days when we live so far apart and lead such different lives! Saturday evening ended with a cake celebrating Rob's graduation and lots of visiting.
On Sunday morning, Amy and Natalie and I got up and made breakfast. We fried bacon, made scrambled eggs, potato pie, pancakes and all the fixings. The facility was beautiful, with a full commercial kitchen, a job to cook in! I think I want a commercial kitchen in my house!!!! There was ample space to work in, a steam table to keep things warm, 5 sinks, a great grill, 3 ovens and 8 burners on the cook top, all of which was topped by a big exhaust fan! After a leisurely breakfast the boys did the dishes and we all got together in the little chapel for some singing and bible reading and prayer, it was a nice time! We spent the rest of the day playing games, relaxing, visiting, hiking, riding bikes, playing music and of course snacking on all the goodies that we had brought along! Sunday evening we had steak - Lance was the master BBQ chef and the rest of us pitched in to make a salad, baked potatoes and grilled carrots. MMM - fresh garden carrots grilled with butter, celery salt and dill - yummy!! More horseshoes and board games came next, then I brought out cheesecake with lemon topping, and later us "kids" played charades until midnight or so - it was a blast. We used the Apples to Apples cards to give us ideas of what to act out - it was a great way to get to know Danny, Dayna and Natalie (my new step-siblings) all a little better! On Monday morning we had a late brunch around 11 of breakfast strata that Amy had thrown together and leftover pancakes. I then went to make a couple pies as I had planned to do earlier, only to find out that my frozen peach pie filling had gone rotten somewhere along the way! So I improvised and used frozen raspberries that we had brought to make one pie and chocolate pie/pudding for another pie! It was all delicious. We shared many of our meals with the staff, etc who were staying at the retreat, and they also contributed a beautiful chocolate/raspberry cake to the desert counter. Many of us went for a hike in the afternoon, along the Freeman river, and then we went back to the camp and had a great afternoon of visiting with the whole Kile family - friends of the whole family from years ago and dad's cousin Keith and his wife. We played more horse shoes, visited a lot, enjoyed Philly Steak sandwiches and later hot dogs and hamburgers along with dessert and a cake for dad and Diane's wedding - we even convinced them to do the traditional face stuffing with the cake! We finished off the evening with visiting around the camp fire and roasting marshmallows. After all the company had gone home, knowing this was our last night together, we didn't want to miss out on any chance to have fun together, so we again played charades (this time with pictionary cards) until well into the night! Tuesday started at around 5:30- Trev and I packed up and headed back home - we stopped for breakfast in fort Saskatchewan, then at the bank in Vermilion so I could talk to them about student loan stuff. Later we stopped at Wal-Mart in Lloyd and then at Grandma Light's place in Regina for a few minutes. We got home around 1:30 AM and crashed.
I'm out of time on my lunch hour now, so I'll have to continue later...but that was my September Long weekend fun :) I'll add pictures when I get home!
No comments:
Post a Comment